Dr. Dustine Spencer
Dr. Dusty Spencer, DVM, Practice Limited to Surgery is our newest veterinarian at Vancouver.
Dr. Dusty Spencer graduated with her Bachelor’s of Science in Biology from California State University, Chico, where she also worked on her Master’s Degree in the same field. She graduated with her DVM in 2005, from Ross University School of Veterinary Medicine, after attending Texas A & M for her clinical studies.
Dr. Spencer spent five years in Las Vegas practicing small animal medicine and surgery, as well as managing a hospital, before returning to her alma mater to teach Gross Anatomy and Practice Management to veterinary students for four years. Dr. Spencer has been practicing surgery exclusively since 2013, when she went on to complete two one-year-long surgical internships, before completing her three-year surgical residency at Metropolitan Veterinary Hospital in Akron, Ohio.
Although Dr. Spencer is capable of almost all specialty surgeries, her personal surgical interests include orthopedics (cruciate disease/TPLOs, fracture repair, polytrauma) and maxillofacial/trauma reconstruction. Dr. Spencer also enjoys veterinary research and currently has multiple research projects and scientific papers in different stage of completion.
Outside of work Dr. Spencer loves to run, a hobby that she shares with her husband and daughter. They share their lives with a menagerie of pets at home, including two adorable Basset Hounds.
- 2018 - Residency in Small Animal Surgery in Akron, Ohio
- 2014 - Surgical Internship, Akron, Ohio
- 2013 - Surgical Internship, Reno, Nevada
- 2005 - DVM from Ross University
- 1995 - Bachelors of Science in Biology, CSU Chico
Dr. Spencer’s Current Research Projects
- Spencer D, Daye RM. A novel distraction technique for canine shoulder arthroscopy: Technique description and case series. Expected journal submission date: December 2022
- Spencer D, Daye RM. A five year prospective, randomized clinical study comparing postoperative cephalexin use in 2000 clean orthopedic procedures. Current case enrollment: 756 dogs. Expected journal submission date: July 2023
Dr. Spencer’s Scientific Publications
- Spencer D, Daye RM. A prospective, randomized, double-blinded, placebo-controlled clinical study comparing postoperative antibiotic use in 150 arthroscopy-assisted TPLOs in dogs. Vet Surg. Vol 47:8. https://doi.org/10.111/vsu.12958
Soto E, Loftis A, Boruta D, Rostad S, Beierschmitt A, McCoy M, Francis S, Berezowski J, Illanes O, Recinos D, Aruz M, Spencer D, Fraites T, Palmour R. Multispecies Epidemiologic Surveillance Study After an Outbreak of Yersiniosis at an African Green Monkey Research Facility. J of Comp Med. Dec 2015; 65(6). 526-31.
- Spencer D, Schroeder R, Samii VS, Pelsue DH. What is your diagnosis? Multiple pulmonary bullae in a dog. JAVMA 2015. Vol 247, 4. 349-351. https://doi/org/10.2460.javma.247.4.349
Spencer D. Nine Ways to Enhance Your Resume’s Fung Shui. Veterinary Team Brief, April 2014.
- Moffett J, Spencer D, Berzoski J, Lanning S. An investigation into the factors that encourage learner participation in a large group medical classroom. Advances in Medical Education and Practice. March 2014.