It is very concerning for dog owners when they believe their pet has ingested something poisonous. Today, our Vancouver vets discuss the signs of dog poisoning and what an owner should do for their companion.
What to Do if Your Dog Is Poisoned
Stay calm and ensure the source of the poison is out of your dog’s reach. Then bring your dog to the vet as soon as possible.
Call us: (360)-694-3007
Any dog parent knows that some pooches are endlessly trusting and curious animals - and that sometimes this can get them into trouble. Depending on your dog’s size, even a small amount of poisonous substance can result in them becoming quickly and severely ill.
Signs of Dog Poisoning
Most cases of dog poisoning are not intentional and are most likely accidents resulting from family pets getting into things they shouldn’t. As you might imagine, this can cause panic and distress in their owners.
In other (more rare) cases, dogs have been exposed to toxic substances or even just eaten treats that aren’t designed for their canine metabolisms.
Dogs that have been poisoned can display a range of symptoms or conditions. The following symptoms may indicate that your dog has been poisoned:
- Excessive bleeding or bruising
- Unsteady on feet
- Abnormal heartbeat
- Oral irritation
- Pale gums
- Heart problems
- Inability to urinate
- Kidney failure
Keep in mind that signs of dog poisoning can vary widely depending on which type of poison they’ve encountered. These signs can range from vomiting to drooling and breathing difficulties.
For example, if they’ve inhaled a toxic substance, they may have difficulty breathing or even lose consciousness. Poisons that touch their skin may cause pain, discomfort, or irritation, while swallowed poisons can result in heart issues, diarrhea, agitation, and sickness.
Symptoms of poisoning may take several days to appear, and can even take months in some cases.
Long-Term Signs of Dog Poisoning
If you know that your dog has consumed a poisonous substance, it’s essential to have him or her treated immediately. Even if your dog doesn’t display symptoms right away, this does not mean they are safe from the potentially fatal consequences.
Long-term symptoms of your dog coming into contact with poisonous substances include kidney failure, liver damage, irregular heartbeat, and neurological symptoms including seizures and blood loss.
Common Household Items Toxic to Dogs
While your home and garden are an oasis for your family, they may be full of potentially poisonous or toxic items that can make your dog severely ill. That’s why it’s important to know where your dog is and what he’s up to at all times.
You’ll also want to keep substances that can be harmful to them out of your dog’s reach. Here are some common household substances that are poisonous to dogs:
- Laundry detergent
- Spring bulbs
- Drain cleaners
- Furniture polish
- Oven cleaner
- Yew trees
- Xylitol (low-calorie sweetener)
- Snail, rodent, or slug poisons
- Antidepressants and other human medications
Seeking Medical Attention
Getting your dog to a vet quickly is essential to a positive outcome. Call your Vancouver emergency vet immediately if you have any concerns about your dog being poisoned. At Columbia River Veterinary Specialists, we are open 24/7 and our emergency veterinarians are always here to help.
After ensuring the poisonous substance is safely out of your dog’s reach, do not try to administer first aid as different poisonous substances require different actions. While some cases may require induced vomiting, in other cases inducing vomiting could cause more damage.
Get your dog to the vet as quickly as possible and allow your vet to provide appropriate treatment. The more you can tell your vet the better, so if you know which substance has poisoned your dog, bring a sample or any packaging of the poison to your vet.
This information will help your vet fully understand the situation, and how best to treat your dog.
Note: The advice provided in this post is intended for informational purposes and does not constitute medical advice regarding pets. Please make an appointment with your vet for an accurate diagnosis of your pet's condition.