Neurological Care for Pets in Vancouver
At Columbia River Veterinary Specialists our board-certified veterinary neurologist provides comprehensive medical and surgical care for Vancouver pets with neurological conditions.
At your appointment, our neurology specialist will perform a detailed neurological exam to determine if, and what part of your pet's nervous system is affected.
After the exam, the neurologist will discuss the most likely causes for your pet's issues. We use diagnostic imaging and our state-of-the-art MRI services to determine the exact cause and what available treatment option is best for your pet. Treatment might include medical therapy, surgery, and/or intensive care.
Board-Certified Veterinary Neurologists in Vancouver
A board-certified veterinary neurologist has completed additional specialized training in the field of veterinary neurology. This training, in the form of a residency, exposes the veterinarian to a variety of neurological diseases affecting a variety of animals, which is followed by an extensive examination process.
Common Neurologic Conditions
Neurological conditions in pets commonly treated by our veterinary neurologist include:
- Intervertebral disc disease (IVDD)
- Encephalitis and meningitis
- Epilepsy, especially difficult to manage or refractory cases
- Brain and spinal tumors
- Syringomyelia/Occipital malformation
- Chronic pain
- Stroke and fibrocartilagenous embolism (FCE)
- Degenerative myelopathy
- Complete neurologic exam and lesion localization
- MRI and CT interpretation
- Cerebrospinal fluid (CSF) collection and evaluation
- Hemilaminectomy and ventral slot decompression for IVDD
- Craniotomy (brain surgery) for brain tumors
- Spinal tumor removal or biopsy
- Lumbosacral dorsal laminectomy for LS stenosis and cauda equina syndrome
- Nerve and muscle biopsy